Sunday, May 18, 2014

House of Uncommons

The Sun News Network is the best thing to happen to Canadian television since Kids in the Hall. I rarely miss their weekday prime time lineup of shows starting with The Source at six o'clock, followed by Byline at seven. Ezra Levant's team at The Source has knack for coining appropriate colloquialisms to describe lefty activist tactics: "rent-a-mob" comes to mind.

I remember checking-out the "occupy" set-up in Edmonton with a friend. It was spooky. There was a tent set-up full of voodoo Marxist literature, a couple of hipsters in charge of keeping the diesel generator running for the laptops, and bearded faces speaking to one another in hushed tones. It was one of the most unhappening "happenings" I'd ever experienced - a field trip into the downtown for mom's basement dwelling suburbanite slackers. 

Of course, I'm a mom's basement dweller, and I'm not ashamed of it. If I weren't a total loser with no friends, I wouldn't be spending this long weekend mucking around on the computer, right? 

Last night after roto-tilling the vegetable plot in the backyard, I hit The Facebook with a six-pack of Big Rock's Honey Brown ale. If my excitement over the instant feedback I was getting to my comments isn't an indication of how uneventful my own life has become, maybe my chronic daily dose of online Scrabble is. Once upon a time I would've spent May Long camping-out on the shores of Cold Lake with a dozen friends, taking requests on the guitar.

This is the Facebook page I was "trolling":

Canadians Online For Question Period


Being a genuine ideological supporter of the strong, stable, majority ruling Conservative Party of Canada, my views were an instant hit! Even though I managed to embarrass myself somewhat, the discourse remained cordial enough, and I thoroughly respect the proactive provision of a thoughtful public forum pandering to all those who oppose Steven Harper's most rational and reasonable agenda. It's a sign that the spirit of democracy is alive and well, and that there are people actually paying attention to the proceedings in the House of Commons. 



By this point, I think I was becoming a bit drunk and indignant. There was no Honey Brown Ale left, and I was intent on taking the dog for a walk to get more beer. After a hard-day's work and little more than a light breakfast, it's safe to say I was "buzzing pretty good" anyway. I do remember consciously restraining myself from becoming too emotional, but looking at my submissions this murky morning, it's clear to me now that I was becoming semi-delusional!  



"Dude is a waste of time a joke if you will"

Maybe so, but at least I'm not afraid to use my own image next to my name, and I take the time to correctly punctuate my sentences. In all fairness, "Kell" is likely using a handheld mobile computing device, and that makes even capitalizing the first letter of a hurtful comment tedious enough!  

From here on in, things are just getting absurd... I tend to get a scrappy attitude when I drink too much. I admit it's a character flaw, and I use alcohol to inflate my own self-esteem. 





It was indeed refreshing to get some feedback flow at all; I sometimes wonder if I'm typing into some Facebook abyss when rebuttals to my observations don't surface. All-in-all it was a rather fruitless exercise - I blame myself for not being more subjective, but I look forward to more productive political dialog from this page in the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment