Sunday, May 11, 2014

Late Night Television Top 5

For Mom on Mother's Day: A hand made card scrawled-out in about four minutes. While I didn't spend much time on it this year, isn't it the personalized acknowledgement that counts? It was a painful-looking attempt at making a crossword puzzle. I stopped after just one clue in either direction, and then wrote something with mushy sincerity.

It's doubtful I'll ever be able to afford to buy her anything nice - this October will mark the one year anniversary of my latest period of unemployment - coincidentally also the one year anniversary of my watching Red Eye on FOX with some regularity. I plan to mark the occasion by doing what I always do - smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee as I write about how wonderful it is to not be harnessed to the yoke of modern-day slavery.

Were I asked to rank late night television, my hierarchy would appear something as follows:

1) Red Eye
2) Conan
3) Late Night
4) Real Time
5) Colbert Report

Keeping in mind that the production team is the mostly unseen half responsible for the entertainment value and relevance of these shows, I'll attempt to provide a bit of background explanation behind my top 5.

1) I've been watching Red Eye long enough now to notice the musical chairs format of FOX's most casual and humourous current affairs program. The other night was the first time I'd seen Andrew Levy as acting anchor, and I was nothing less than delighted by his competency in command of both the narrative and panel proceedings. It was interesting to see him so animated after becoming accustomed to his usual low-key reservedness as a regular panelist on the show. Then again, he's a guy who spends almost every night sitting adjacent to Mr. Gutfeld, studying his countenance, so I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise.

2) I would commend Conan O'Brian for being the one late night host who's managed to out-goof David Letterman's signature restrained goofiness without sliding off the edge of absurdity and into Tom Green territory. Conan has mastered the spastic nature of the inner jerk - giving his audience just enough of a glimpse of it to be funny without compromising his own integrity. A genuinely funny guy, but I admit I haven't watched in quite some time.

3) Sheer intimidation of celebrities. It's so much fun to watch big egos get twisted around like silly putty by the great David Letterman. He's demonstrated the power of stubborn conviction tempered by a lighthearted unpredictability. I'm scared to even write about him!

4) Bill Maher has a tendency to talk over his esteemed guests a bit much for my liking, but his observations are usually accurate and clever enough to make me chuckle. Sometimes I get the impression his edginess is almost forced?

5) Stephen Colbert? See number 4.


Oh yeah, I also tidied-up my room today. Here's some images to prove it!




No comments:

Post a Comment