Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Taylor Swift's duet with Stevie Nicks at the 52'nd Grammy Awards

If you've followed my shit for any length of time, you'd know that I rarely watch television, and so, if it weren't for Michael Buckly's celebrity gossip updates, I likely wouldn't have bothered to watch a clip of Taylor Swift performing a few songs at the Grammy awards.

My impressions? Well, from listening to her Grammy set, I think the girl does have a bit of a knack for writing catchy numbers, but I found the overall performance to be vastly unremarkable. Taylor's just a kid really, and her music career is only in its infancy, so with some concentrated effort I imagine that one day she'll get her guitar and voice where it needs to be to attract serious criticism regarding her abilities as a musician.

What I really wanted to remark upon in this posting however, were the stylistic considerations of the guy who played the lead guitar solo for Gold Dust Woman on the Swift / Nicks duet at the Grammy Awards ceremony, Mr. Waddy Wachtel. I'm hardly an aficionado when it comes to fashion considerations, but if you're going to wear a nice suit, then for fuck's sake, pull back that thinning lion's mane of a hairdo into a ponytail! It looks conflicted and pretentious... dare I say goofy and awkward. Nothing I can think of clashes worse with a formal looking suit jacket than hair running past your shoulders - especially if you're an aging hipster. A mu mu would've been more a more fitting choice.




On the other hand, what rights do I have to discuss the goofiness factor of anyone's look when I make a video of myself singing a "Culture Club" song with a towel wrapped around my head?



What kind of name is Waddy? That's almost as unusual a name as 'Juice'. Thoughts?

1 comment: