Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter!



Before discovering SoundCloud, I'd often resort to hastily slapping together a quick video as a catalyst for my music on YouTube. Oftentimes, they were a motley arrangement of disjointed clips, strung together impulsively without much care. Some of my friends admitted they found them to be all but entirely unwatchable!

Here's a raw and unedited clip I made this morning. It's the piano foundation for a song I'm working on, and I think it has promise. The great thing about checking-in here, esteemed reader, is that if I ever make-it big-time, you can tell people how you used to get the inside scoop on my progress from a little-known web log! I was layering some guitars atop it earlier in the evening, but I didn't quite achieve what I was after. Tomorrow's another day.


 I made a great deal of video recordings when I lived in Edmonton. Much of it is just stock footage type stuff - walking down the sidewalk, dogs in the park... some of it is drunken guitar playing, jam sessions with my cronies, and bizarre and humourous conversations... a lot of crap to sift through, but potentially good source material for music videos or narratives. There was a time I was sure I'd be the next big You Tube star, but I really do have a face for radio, if not a voice for print!

The primary HDD of the computer I used to process it on bit the dust. Luckily, I made a point of keeping all the video on the secondary HDD, which is now resting in yet another second-hand computer that I've been using to build my Linux server project. So far it's been stable and reliable. 


Last year, I built a website from scratch called, "bandstandaround.com" intended primarily to host my own music, and with the idea in mind that it might one day become a boutique online record label venture... it was functional, and I learned a bit about web development, but alas, I ran out of money to cover the hosting fees.

Today, I operate under the moniker "Invalidator" on SoundCloud - a superbly clean and intuitive platform to showcase my music sans video on. Pleased to learn that Soundcloud is on the up and up with $60 Million in free money for expanding their business. I sometimes come up with interesting ideas for websites - the next venture I'm concocting should prove interesting. Win or lose, it's nice to live in a country with a free market to launch ideas in, that's for sure!

Have a happy and blessed Easter!   

No comments:

Post a Comment