Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Alberta NDP: Very Very Very Proud

Feeling pretty smug over my decision to abstain from voting in the last provincial election. I don't think I'm alone in feeling dismayed over the state of Alberta politics in general today. As a regular Albertan, I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with any of Alberta's political parties currently sitting in the legislature.

It's terribly bad form to draw flippant comparisons between genocidal policies of the early twentieth century and recent legislative changes enacted by the NDP. It leaves me to wonder whether the Wildrose Party aren't in fact a cast of method actors, playing from a script designed to distract the attention of the audience away from the ruthlessness of the NDP leadership.


Today I'll probably catch myself wincing as I sift through the CLIMATE LEADERSHIP IMPLEMENTATION ACT - mainly because I liken parsing codified language to debugging a computer program written in (almost) human-speak. What's the real intent? How will it affect average single parent households vs. medium-sized retail business?

I predict the only folks who'll find themselves immune to the negative impacts of this bill would also find themselves on opposite ends of a lifestyle spectrum: backpack toting, skateboard riding minimalists; and ultra wealthy titans of industry. I somehow suspect everyone in the middle will bear the brunt of paying for this enactment.

A simplistically sure bet, and I do realize some form of action is necessary to position Alberta ahead of the global paradigm shift surrounding climate. Were the Alberta PC party still in power, I don't doubt they'd be pushing a strikingly similar mandate. Still, all I see is a manufactured sense urgency to reduce carbon emissions worldwide. Maybe I'll be proven wrong some day, but I still have great difficulty with the belief that putting a price on carbon will somehow have any tangible or measurable effect on our Earth's atmosphere.


No comments:

Post a Comment