Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pot Head On Quitting Pot


When I was in high school, marijuana was all the rage.

I remember turning green one day in grade eleven, missing the bulk of afternoon classes after sharing a cigarette laced with 'feathered' hashish over the lunch break. I became quite nauseous and dizzy soon after our 'toke sesh' wrapped-up.

My little puke fest was somewhat curious given that this particular "smoke-pit special" (our high school had a pro-smoking courtyard) wasn't exactly my first dose of astronaut tobacco, and nobody else in our lunchtime bad-boy circle seemed to be suffering any ill effects afterward. Looking back, it must've just been something I ate that day.

Since those carefree times (and over a dozen or so pounds of plant matter later) my recent decision to abstain from pot altogether is not based on anything other than a personal desire to become reacquainted with a brain devoid of Mary Jane.

I'm neither an advocate nor a proponent of marijuana use.  I'm quite libertarian in approaching the subject, and obviously it would  be entirely hypocritical of me to ever chastise anyone for partaking in the rite of the devil weed.

For the longest time, I nearly convinced myself that my artistic side actually needed herbal jazz cigarettes to ignite the creative process. I knew it wasn't really true - I merely enjoyed the euphoric effects of pot, and was more than willing to conjure up all sorts of justifications for my continued use of it.

If you're someone who happens to be of the mindset where you somehow believe you cannot live without a perpetual supply of dried-out stuff in ziplock baggies, I would encourage you to challenge yourself to try dropping the habit altogether. Tell yourself: it'll just be for one single week.

Judging from my own experience, there's at least a modicum of truth to the claims that stopping routine pot use does not result in any significant physical withdrawl symptoms. Unlike severe alcohol dependency, you're not likely to find yourself hyperventilating through gritted teeth as you collect a bunch of jigsaw puzzle pieces strewn across the kitchen floor.

I suppose if you're someone who is depending upon THC for non-recreational purposes, it's another matter altogether - a matter in which I personally have only a limited understanding of.

On that note:

1 comment: