Monday, March 24, 2014

Top Priority: Preserving Mediocrity

With every day that passes, my level of disgust for humanity at large intensifies as my confidence in societal institutions diminishes. I take to Twitter to lash-out - attempting to serve-up as much contention in 140 characters as possible:

What I really mean is that: while I'd love more than anything to see young people emboldened through solid public education, my disillusionment with the system now exceeds any hope I might have once harboured for salvaging a defunct system. I wouldn't even consider bringing kids of my own into this world unless I were in a position to see them through a private school that isn't encumbered with the idealistic expectation to be all things to everyone.

Though I don't doubt that there a brilliant minds working to improve the curriculum, I also strongly suspect the lurking presence of overarching bureaucratic forces who's top priority is not improved education, but self-preservation. In other words, it's in their own best interests to see that the system remains in a state of semi-disrepair.

So yeah... that's how I sum it up. Logic might suggest that innumerate graduates are typically easier to fleece. If you can't compute a compound interest rate, make valuation appraisals on the fly, or you fail to optimize your budgeting because you'd rather just throw money at the problem than deal with the anxiety of crunching a few numbers on a ledger, people will take advantage... and happily take your earnings.

Evidently, I care more about issues surrounding education than some people, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to address them here. I'm in a camp that believes educational excellence can be achieved without all the gimmickry and interference from experimental approaches that treat schools like laboratories. Like any system, a school system is only as good as its weakest link, and all the technology and money in the world cannot a good teacher make.



 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment