Tuesday, December 29, 2015

On Learning Linux

After so much mucking about, and being faintly aware that the entire process is wrapped in a brilliant, yet haphazard fashion betwixt so many layers of abstraction that it must surely be transparent at some level, I finally manage to invoke a little icon on my Windows 7 operating system. The icon represents countless nuanced tangents and countless hours spent editing configuration files to achieve a simple result: enable the Windows spirited PC to read & write files contained on the HDD of a PC sitting right next to it, but engendered with a Linux o/s.

With the help of so many geniuses before me, I made a very particular something happen. Something so particular in fact, that I'd wager more than 99% of the whole worlds population might dismiss it as so much black magic. Were it not for the 0.001%  of dedicated computer science devotees, I'd probably be on tour with some stupid rock band.

The embarkation itself is half the battle. I know I'm not reinventing the wheel, but I'm marvelling at the spoke-work. Is it a complete waste of my time to become adept at identifying interoperability issues now that the information age is behind us now? Short answer: I don't care. For a Scrabble head like myself, the challenge is the whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment