Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Is Your Mobile Phone Slowly Killing You?

It might surprise you to learn, esteemed reader, that I've never owned a mobile phone in my life. Not a flip phone, not a brick phone, bag phone or even a smart phone.

My phone stays put!


Between you and I, I feel a smug sense of satisfaction when new acquaintances discover that I'm actually telephonically immobilized. Not that I'm out and about much or anything, but I hate the thought of someone interrupting my infrequent excursions with a phone call. I've heard more than one lamenting confessional about the euphemistic "dog collar" factor of always being accessible: Sometimes I just wanna chuck the damn thing into the river.

Just because I don't have a mobile phone, doesn't mean I don't expect everyone else to keep a mobile communications device on them at all times... for MY convenience!

If you're under thirty years of age, you've probably never experienced the joy of prank calling. With caller ID, it's neigh impossible these days. I'd invite my pals over and we'd sit around a rotary telephone taking turns making prank calls around the town. It was such a delightfully devious activity for us preteens. Our impromptu scripts were mostly juvenile and unsophisticated, but it was quite a lark when someone took the bait!

Today, if I want to prank call a friend, I use the VOIP Google phone and pretend I'm someone from California.




No comments:

Post a Comment