Sunday, May 26, 2013

I May Not Always Be Right, But I'm Never Wrong

Sure I've tossed the odd cigarette butt onto the avenue outside of a bar on occasion, but more often than not, I make a point of seeking out a trashcan or public ashtray to appropriately dispose of the wretched smelling things if I'm smoking as I'm walking along some sidewalk. I'm the sort of person who will seek approval from those around me before lighting-up. I like animals... people even more, and I'll go out of my way to help an old lady across the street... even if it'll make me late for work.

Work. I finally have a job again! In fact, I almost look forward to this particular job because it's the kind of job I call a work-job. Though it doesn't pay much, and the tasks expected of me are often menial, it's with a busy Mom & Pop outfit... the kind of outfit where it doesn't go unnoticed when I go the extra mile. Unlike a corporate environment, there's a real humanistic understanding to the ongoing's - as opposed to a mandated simulation of "we care" written into organizational policy. 

When you're employed as a time-unit liability within a corporation, everything becomes secondary to the corporation. They don't see you as being late because you helped spare some hopeless drunk a shred of dignity by helping him out of the gutter and onto a bus bench on your way to work- if you're just a mere foot soldier in the ranks, they only see you as being late. Indeed, the corporate entity often has its own separate division to show especially just how much they... really... care. In this way, they only need to care when caring can be recorded in the ledger. "Viablecorp" expects... yea demands recognition... and tax credits for any and all time spent caring. By no means am I anti-corporate or anything like that. I understand and even sympathize with the ever changing complexities - the onus of responsibility - that large, publicly traded organizations are forced to contend with in a global marketplace... unfortunately to the point that it requires a sickening level of micromanagement just to    
compete when your firm is saturated to the level of corporate crotch-rotch.

Of course, even Mom & Pop have their bottom line. Fortunately, as a part-timer, it's easy for me to exceed expectations without getting burnt-out, and I feel like a real team player these days. Very much unlike my experience working for Canada's Department of National Defense where the operating budget seems to magically appear, efficiency is encouraged and idleness is frowned upon. It's just an honest to goodness enterprise that like me, (or anyone else) has its imperfections and idiosyncrasies. 

Such natural elements of life are inherent under any context where interpersonal interaction need present itself- a reality that not government, nor corporate, nor private enterprise could ever hope to immunize themselves from. Unpredictability - the human clause.
  





   

No comments:

Post a Comment