Monday, August 30, 2010

Alberta's Minister of Arts and Culture Tweets, "...we are trulu blessed."


Indeed we are trulu blessed to not only to live in this great country- as trulu blessed as I am trulu proud of my Anglo-Saxon heritage. A heritage of ancestors who were, for the most part, sufficiently fluent in the English language to at least string together a proper English sentence. Judging by Linday's Twitter home page, fluency in written English is somewhat of an obstacle for our Province's Minister of Arts and Culture.

I think today I'll heed the advice of Mr. Blackett and enjoy myself safely from behind the keyboard of my PC, within the sanctuary of my 450 square foot abode in downtown Edmonton, adding fuel to the fires of political rebellion sprigging from the spongy muskeg of the vast northern wilderness to the craggy outcroppings of the foothills of this majestic province. 

The fact that eloquence is not a strong suit for Alberta's Progressive Conservative party is obviated by examples like the one above of Blackett's "dudebombs", or Mr. Stelmach's useless hand-wringing, lullaby speeches. 

Like my own seeming inability to hold down a steady job, we all have our own weaknesses. Depending on what your post is in society, some shortcomings are acceptable; if you're an English teacher,  for example, it doesn't matter much if you're baffled by Boolean Algebra. If you're an accountant, it's not going to be expected of you to quote famous philosophers throughout the day. If you're a provincial minister - of Arts & Culture no less - is it too much to expect you demonstrate parlance in at least one of the official languages at a minimum of a grade 12 level? 

Let's examine(d) a few of Mr. Blackett's Twitter entries together(s):





I wouldn't accept such a grammatical catastrophe from most ten year olds! You're in a PUBLIC OFFICE of the Commonwealth, Sir! I invite you to drag my feet through the coals, but... 

How about this somewhat cryptic entry:

 

I know for me, seeing piles of reports on a desk always fills me with a certain amount of glee. They're capable of spurring an even greater sense of joyousness when you can actually understand the language that they're written in! From this particular entry, I can't help but deduce that this is an obvious and classic example of a fight or flight response: See work = hide out in Calgary.

The more of Mr. Blackett's tweets I read, the more incensed I become. Our "Minister of Arts and Community Spirit" is lavishly travelling around to all kinds of events on the taxpayer dime in some air conditioned luxury car and probably dining out at some fancy affair every night! While I would presume at least that he's a good and personable fellow, (singularly the most important trait of any politician) I cannot help but fail to see how he's of any particular benefit to Alberta's cultural image (or" community spirit"). Maybe I'm wrong or ignorant about Mr. Blackett's professional accolades. Publicly pointing out what he perceives as being "shit" in regard to  whatever creative content he was referring to hardly got a mixed reception here in the province, if I'm not mistaken.   



Great, great, great. Wow... everything is so great when you've got a high salaried position demanding nothing from you beyond trotting around events and tweeting about them inarticulately. Polite words could never  express the outright ire boiling inside of me when I think of how I actually voted for these yahoos. Ted Morton is so far the only member of Ed's old boy's commie club who even seems capable of speaking convincingly - even if is only spinning some confounded yarn about green really being blue!

Someone throw me a frickin' bone here!



No comments:

Post a Comment