Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wood Louse Over Easy

As promised, this posting will not involve any sort overview of my latest You Tube video, but rather something topical or abstract, and, as a special bonus, I will include a surprise at the end of the article for all my faithful follower! That's right, follower, in the singular, as currently, I have but one follower of this blog, and I would like to thank you very much for reading me! I think I've been working at this moremoreenough project for a little over seven months now. Congratulations for being the first to follow!

Normally when writing my blog posts, I just use the built-in Blogger text editor. You know, the tan coloured one that pops up when you compose a new post. This morning however, I decided to try out the Google 'Docs' word processor, and I must say, it has a very clean interface, and seems to work flawlessly. I recommend you try it out if you haven't already.

I can remember reading something almost a decade ago about how 'in the future', home computers will no longer require applications taking up space on hard drives, and that the home PC of tomorrow will essentially be minimalistic dumb terminals that relies upon high speed transfer rates and external software moreso than it's own built-in processors and storage devices. While this has become a reality in many instances, and the idea of mainframe-terminal networks dates back to the sixties, with the rate of miniaturization in storage capability, memory and storage no longer seem like obstacles and so such a prediction becomes moot.

I like the idea of having a home computer that can still do things even if I lose my high speed internet which means having my own programs available on my hard drive for my own use. What I'm trying to get at is that I don't want to depend on an external service to be able to scan some photos into memory and toss them around in a graphics program, or write a letter to my aunt if the ADSL were to go on the fritz!

God, I've been so computer minded lately. Just in case you weren't aware, I'm primarily a musician. I was heavily into computing as young as six - I had a Texas Instruments 99-4A and learned to write BASIC programs on it. I continued being geeky until discovering girls, guitars, and ganja! Computing would take a back seat for the next decade or so, however, I would still find the time to participate on local BBSs with my Amiga 500 throughout the nineties. It wasn't until about a year ago that I subscribed to high speed internet services; the novelty has yet to wear off! Now it seems that it's the music that sits on the back burner while I seek out new way to jam on the web. I can spend hours searching out information on Wikipedia, reading blogs, watching YouTube, honing my Plenty of Fish profile, and Facebooking.

Although I sometimes welcome technical challenges, the state of online computing today makes it so effortless to share ideas and has made things very easy for the artist/hobbyist like myself to strike a balance in form over function. Thanks to the clever programming efforts of computer geniuses the world over, I need not concern myself with technical minutiae in order to express my artistic ideas via the World Wide Web. Fifteen years ago, you almost needed an introductory computing course just to effectively read an online news feed. Today, your borderline computer-illiterate grandmother can set up her own You Tube channel with a few dozen well placed mouse clicks. The intuitiveness of web-apps is nothing short of astounding by contrast of what internet enthusiasts had to endure in the late nineties.

Enough. I'm sure that this topic has been covered countless times elsewhere, and so I will cease to sit here lauding the state of the art and praising those responsible. Here now, as promised, is a surprise. What follows will be the first video that I post to my blog that isn't already available on my You Tube channel. I know it's essentially all the same thing, with Google owning You Tube and all, but hey... let's pretend!





1 comment:

  1. B.R. 'Dangerous' MathewsApril 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM

    P.S. No sow bugs, woodlice, pillbugs, or whatever these vile creatures happen to be that I've been mercifully collecting in my apartment for the last week or so, were ever harmed during the making of this video...in fact, most of them still live on today in the same little colony that I helped them to achieve... sure can't seem to get enough of dem carrot stubs! It's just that time of year I guess, when the wood lice become active in their pursuit of carrying on the good woodlouse name, they take it upon themselves to strut their stuff across my stone tiles! Whaddaya gonna do?
    "Collect 'em up in that there ol' tobacco tin, Padre! I want every last woodlouse in perfect condition...be nice to 'em!"

    ReplyDelete