Thursday, January 2, 2014

Unhappy New Year

Judging by a quick parsing of some of the sentiments on Twitter, it seems most people look forward to a new year with a sense of rekindled enthusiasm and confident optimism:

"Happy New Year Everyone! Love starting off fresh and 2014 is going to be incredible!!
I am focusing on my Goals..." -Chelsea

"Oh yeah, happy new year!" -Ciara

Everyone's making resolutions - pledging to quit smoking, quit eating fried chicken, or quit whatever. Focusing on one's goals. Exercising more. Not me.

2014 will be the worst year yet for most (Africa, India, Middle East) people's lives. What I see are escalating tensions in a world already plagued by famine, disease, malnutrition, war, etc. Sure... we here in the western world can make a "fresh start" in terms of our own insular first-world lives, but we know that for the vast majority of souls on this earth, shittiness is so deeply entrenched in the fabric of their reality that a "fresh start" would be as simple as not having to worry about a band of machete wielding marauders invading your mud hut and raping your loved ones before hacking them to death.

For only a few cents per day, you can ensure that a starving kid will grow-up strong enough to be recruited to fight for some despotic warlord's personal power struggle. Perhaps such a perspective is shortsighted, and of course it breaks my heart to know that innocent children are in serious distress, but the fact that I can't even produce the $6.00 CAN each month to keep my website running means it's unlikely I'll be making-out any checks to Unicef or World Vision this year.

Record levels of Wasteful spending, increasing taxes, and scandalous backroom deals. Honest and hardworking people getting fucked harder than ever up the ass by arrogant bureaucrats and sadistic banksters. Dwindling privacy and heightened surveillance. Disappearing jobs. I'm only belaying the obvious, I suppose, but that's my prediction regarding what we'll see in 2014, and I'm sticking to it! Addressing my own pointless existence seems... pointless?

Rest assured, my miserable sense of worthlessness shall grow ever stronger as my tangible value to society continues to diminish. The only resolution I've resolved to keep is to try and drink more often so I can enjoy delusions of grandeur while slopping around on the guitar as I sit around... contributing nothing to the advancement of mankind.


 
 




   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment