Saturday, November 16, 2013

Saturday Meanderings


I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. Once upon a time, I think I introduced myself as "Professor Rock" to one of the fellow attendees at an open mic night off Whyte Avenue. 

As a once-in-a-while entertainer, I'm accustomed to hearing at least a smattering of applause for my rock & roll antics, but I doubt my musical performances are anywhere near as entertaining to anyone else as they are to me. These days, I just want to write and record stuff. Doing shows requires a considerable amount of overhead expenditure from the unsolicited artist's own pocket. Do I really want to spend my days delivering building supplies or punching clocks and rubbers'tamping already duplicitous statements in some sterile setting, making  barely enough extra money to fund weekend performances at local bistros in a small city? Duh... okay boss! Where would one ever find the time to rehearse? 

The way I see it, crafting a single super-hit song could generate enough capital from royalties to fund a proper production enterprise. From there, the stars are yours to embrace. Cash is, if anything, breathing room to seek out some leverage to plan successive ventures. Entrepreneurs need to perpetuate their own relevance in the service of mankind in order to thrive.

Maybe I've been rooting from the sidelines for too long. Ashtrays might as well be permanent fixtures at my writing desk. I've been thinking about cutting-back on my cigarette smoking. If I'm going to smoke tobacco at all, it should be fine cigars and aromatic pipe tobacco. Cigarettes are a great fix for someone on-the-go, but sitting around and chain smoking them while I work is pretty NSP: Nasty; Smelly; Pricey. Considering the amount of money I spend on smoking cigarettes, 
I could smoke one big boss of a $60 cigar every weekend! 

I've allowed myself to be lulled into an acceptance of a lifetime of mediocrity. Why bother with a Rolls when you can wear a Rolex while driving your Lexus? The difference? About $130,000.00 and 3000 lbs. of automobile weight. Just a rough estimate on my part. I can't afford so much as a used bicycle right now! Doing without "toys" is the price I pay for not forcing myself to "get a job", eh?

Quite honestly, I feel extremely fortunate to be well-fed and living in a region where I am free to peacefully pursue my interests in a part of the world not ravaged by war and famine. Enduring extremely cold temperatures and a minor 
blizzard or two every ten years is worth it to not worry about things like flooding, tropical diseases, or typhoons. Of course, with the inherent unpredictability of what tomorrow will bring, even the brightest prophets and seers among us can never realize a mindset of absolute certainty about all things. Never a more unscientific misnomer have I ever heard uttered than, "the science is settled on the matter."

I have to wonder if the scientific community at large are unaware that we're actually trapped on a giant ball of water and rock zipping around in orbit around an imperceptibly massive orb of imperceptible hotness that creeps along some largely unknown path through a mysterious cosmos of penultimate beauty. I get the impression that many of today's so-called climatologists cannot even see the rain for the water: 

"uhhh, our expensive computer models indicate that rainfall and hot sunshine is obvious evidence of impending catastrophic climate, so pay-up North America - you're making more than enough money as it is."

As far as I can tell, whatever environmental committments China entertains are trumped by demand for electricity. They build a new coal plant every time I take a hot shower. It's my fault, right?



  


        




   


No comments:

Post a Comment