Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Edmonton's Latest Poet Laureate, "Tickled Pink" About Relieving Title From Former Cadence Weapon M.C., Rollie Pemberton


A light smattering of rain is no match for the covered side walks in this part of the city - the lush leafy canopies, fast approaching their seasonal fullness now, and seeming to grow ever more green with each passing equinox. A low grumbling was I hearing from the not-so-distant mass of clouds, a dark, pearly grey, forming spires in the sky due south, caused me to quicken my pace. The murmuring thunder, coupled with the atmospheric brew, was conjuring notions of heavy sheets of the type of instantaneous puddle-making rain that can soak one to the bone in under a second.

No sooner than two dogs could divide a rabbit between them, what started off as a light, early summer sprinkler seemed destined to fast become somewhat of an ominous pelting... the kind of rain that grows rapidly colder and indicates, “hail-stones soon to follow.” Given the two excessively furry beasts I had in tow, and the fact that I was fully clothed at the time, I wanted to boogie-woogie home double-time- keep myself and my double dogs dry!

Edmonton's a tad more humid than is usual, given recent trends I've personally noticed over the last several years. Maybe I'll thumb through 'The Old Farmer's Almanac' next time I'm down at the butcher's. I do know that arthritics and asthmatics have been known to move to Alberta to ease their joints and loosen their phlegm in the typically arid climes found throughout much of our province. Subsequently, this is the first summer in almost ten years since we've had a noticeable contingent of pesky mosquitoes to contend with. West Nile Virus producing gulleys and mud pools everywhere! Run for your lives!

Aside from Edmonton's reputation for having dangerous streets and being totally lame throughout much of its downtown core, there's all kinds of great shit happening in the Capital City of Canada's Most Westerly Prairie Province. I capitalized all that very purposefully, and I can't wait for the Canada Day fireworks. We have the best fireworks because Alberta's so awesomely rich as a province and we know how to have more better fun here, eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment